[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Algae eater problems

>From: "Hoa G. Nguyen" <nguyenh at nosc_mil>
>Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 12:59:57 -0700
>Subject: Re: Algae eater problems
>
>>From: N.Monks at nhm_ac.uk (Neale Monks)
>>Subject: Re: Algae eater problems

................<Snipped>..........................

>>Snails are hopeless.
>
>In what sense?  Ramshorns are excellent for keeping a tank free of algae.
>As I have said before, I keep a cleaning tank full of ramshorns to
>occasionally clean my plants.  Just wish I didn't have clown loaches in my
>show tank, so I could keep them in there also.
>
>Hoa

I think that Neale Monks meant that snails were hopeless when it came to
dealing with hair algae, such as Cladophora.  Snails are good for the soft
attached types, and can even chip away at green spot algae, but they can't
eat the tough hair algae types.

Well, I don't know about all kinds of snails, but I know for sure that
ranshorns can't touch Cladophora and its kin.

In much cooler Mississippi.