[Prev][Next][Index]

Substrate query (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 00:59:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Miles Morrissey <mmorriss at sophia_smith.edu>
To: Aquatic Plants digest <Majordomo at ActWin_com>
Subject: Substrate query

Dear Folks,
		I am about to set up a fifty gallon plant tank and am
wondering about people's responses to my substrate plan.  I was thinking
of modifying Jim Kelly's suggestion in the Nov-Dec 95 issue of The
Aquatic Gardener.  He mixes vermiculite with top soil covered with
course sand.  I was thinking of using vermiculite, top soil and 500g of
duplarit. Is this over kill? The duplarit suggests mixing it with the
first inch of gravel, should I add some gravel to this mixture to in
order to resist it getting too compacted?  Amano suggests using gravel of
different diameters I'm assuming he means mixed together not in layers,
correct?  Lastly, I'm going to use Malaysian trumpet snails but I've
heard that this is counter indicated with soil substrates as their
burrowing will disturb the soil causing it to disperse into the water.
Say it ain't so?!?!  How about a nylon screen between the soil and gravel?
I know, I know, too many questions.  Any help you all could provide
would be appreciated.

		Thanks,
			Miles Morrissey
			Easthampton, MA    USA