[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: 29 gal. with 20 watts

>From: "Jeff Skredenske" <Jeff.Skredenske at mail_win.org>
>Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:22:03 +0000
>
>          Hi.  I'm new to the aquatic plant hobby.  After reading a
>bit, I'm doubtful that I can grow any plants with my current setup.
>Are there any plants that can successfully be grown in a 29 gal with
>20 watts of light?  I don't think so, but I might be wrong!  :)
>Also, I've had an outbreak of brown algae...  how would I go about
>getting rid of it?  Everything I have read says to increase the
>length of light, and I've done that to no avail...  :(  Well, anyway,
>thanks for all the help and I've found the APD very interesting!

I have grown crypts (genus Cryptocoryne) and Java fern (Microsorium) in a
29 gal with 20 watts light.  They grow slowly, but seem to do pretty well.
At that light level, crypts do not benefit from additional CO2.  In fact,
it can cause a meltdown of their leaves.  They do, however, like additional
CO2 at higher light levels.  I also recall that I had a sword plant,
probably Echinodorus blehri, that grew to occupy about 1/3 of that tank.

In steamy Mississippi.