[Prev][Next][Index]

Lighting

Hi all.

I've been lurking here for a bit while I'm planning a small (20 gal) densely
planted tank.  The last piece of equipment I need to buy before setting
things up are the lights. Someone recommended power compact flourescents for
their intensity, long life and cool operation.

Question:  Would two 28W Osram 13" power compacts (1 white, 1 blue) be
sufficient light over a 24" x 12" 20 gallon tank?  The next size up (58W)
gets pretty expensive.  Or would I be better off with 2, 3, or 4 regular
flourescent tubes?  The Plants FAQ lighting formula suggests about 930 watt
hours for this size tank.  Can you get away with less wattage by using power
compacts?

Bill Cwirla
Hacienda Heights, CA