[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Clown Loaches and Cucumber

>From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:06:20 -0700
>Subject: Loaches and cucumber
>
>>From: amc2 at ix_netcom.com (MERRILL COHEN )
>>Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:32:15 -0700
>>Subject: Re: Clown Loaches and Cucumber
>
>>They will eat much more than a "little piece" of cucumber.  Actually,
>>have three 5 inch Clown Loaches in a 70 gallon aquarium with other
>>fish, of course; and they devour a half cucumber (sliced lengthwise)
in
>>three days. <snip>
>>
>>Good luck and let us all know your results.
>
>Merrill,
>
>I tried the cucumber and you are right -- the Clown loaches like it.
>However, the SAEs like it even more. They stayed right there feasting
on
>it. I removed it because I want them to eat algae not cucumber. (Those
guys
>eat *anything*.) I did think of an alternate way to perhaps protect
the
>Lobelia which seems to be the only plant they eat.
>
>Perhaps I could get some feedback on *this* idea. I have some young
>Kribensis just about of an age to pair off. How about I put a pair in
my
>main plant tank and strategically place a perfect "nesting" spot for
them
>beside the Lobelia plants. The Kribs will protect their territory and
keep
>the Clown Loaches away. No? Yes? BTW, has anyone mixed Clown Loaches
and a
>pair of Kribensis in a 48 gallon tank?

Olga (in lovely Vancouver):

Your Clown Loaches will prefer the the cucumber to your Lobelia and the
Kribensis will probably not cooperate in protecting the plants. (They
can be kept together.) If you keep cucumber in the aquarium
continually, your plants will not be bothered.  In fact, the plants
will take on a "hue" that I have never had before using cucumber.
Another thing about Clown Loaches is that they, and most fish, look for
food constantly.  They should appear robust.  Remember this one fact --
in Nature, you never catch a "skinny" fish.  They are either robust or
dead!!  Keep them well occupied with a food that does not foul the
aquarium, and you will have "the optimum aquarium"! Try_ ripe_ banana
as a treat and alternative sometimes.

Good luck!

Merrill