[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:Tissue Cultured Aquarium Plants

------------------------------

>From: "Michael E. Kane" <mek at GNV_IFAS.UFL.EDU>
>Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 12:50:17 -0500 (EST)

>Has anyone purchased aquarium  plants that were commercially produced by
>tissue culture (micropropagation)?  I would be interested in knowing your
>general  impressions on thier quality and growth.

There is a chance that a plant you bought in one of those little rockwool
containers may have been propagated by tissue culture.  Tissue culture
propagation should not affect a plant's characteristics because it should
not affect the plant's genetic makeup.  Tissue culture is just a way of
rapidly propagating a plant as well as starting off the propagation process
with sterile plants.  They aren't sterile by the time they get to us.

In steamy Mississippi.