[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #152

Subject: cichlids and plants

> I have a question on cichlids and plants.  Most of the plants th
> keep in our aquaria are soft water loving.  How can you keep cic
> like Juliochromis (my favorite) from the hard-water lakes of eas
> Africa, with plants that are by far the softest-water loving thi
> around!!

There are many plants that can do quite well in fairly hard water
with a pH @ 7.5.  This is certainly lower than would be  found in
the Rift Lakes, but well within the tolerance of fish like Julies,
Lamprologus and Neolamprologus.

> Another question I have is the on the natural habitat of Anubius
> they normally found emmersed or immersed?  Their anatomical stru
> screams out "emmersed"...so what is the deal??  Another Dracena
> fell into someone's tank and survived???

They are not in the same category as Draceana, which never grow in
the water in the wild AFAIK, and will certainly die if used
submerged in an aquarium.

But you are correct that they are not fully aquatic. (Most of the
aquarium plants we use are not)  In the wild they grow on the edge
of rocky tropical forest streams.  Their "feet" are more or less
constantly weet, while the foilage is often exposed to the air in
dry periods.  During the rain season, however, they are often
flooded.  Most of the species offered for aquarium purposes adapt
well and fully to submerged aquarium life.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA