[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Plants just hanging on in 10g

Hi David,

> I have a 10 gallon in my office, where the plants are just hangin' on.  Tank
> specs:  ph 6.8, total hardness ~120ppm, total alkalinity ~20 ppm, temp 78,
> 1 15watt aqua-glo (minimal, I know but all that will fit in the hood for now),
> 5ml of Kent's freshwater plant supplement twice a week; fish load 5 gold
> tetras, 1 neon, 2 albino cory's, 1 oto.  I would call this a sparsely to
> somewhat moderately planted tank, depending on your definition :>) java fern,
> hygrophila difformis (sp?), hygrophila angustifolia, and micro sword.  All of
> the plants are just kind-of holding their own, and maybe even slowly
> diminishing.  I am filtering with an aqua-clear jr., no carbon, no CO2, and
> admittedly sparse partial water changes.  Any idea why the plants seem to be
> doing so poorly?

	Sounds like the light levels are too low.  Both the Hygrophila and
micro sword appreciate a high light level for proper growth.  The Java
fern will grow, just slowly.  I think if you double your light levels,
you'll see a significant change (and perhaps algal bloom, in which case
you're going to have to give in and do regular water changes!).  You can
do anything else to the tank, but if you don't have enough light, you'll
never see proper plant growth.

Regards,

Chris Teichreb

teichrch at meena_cc.uregina.ca