[Prev][Next][Index]

Anubias Rhizome Rotting!

     TANK DETAILS: 38 Gal(US), pH 6.8, KH 3, RUGF, no CO2, 80 W (triton),
     plain gravel substrate, moderate/densely planted (depending on your
     definition) and is established 3 years. The set-up is lo tech but
     growth have been satisfactory for a variety of common plants.
     Fertilisation has been casual for the most part, but I have been using
     a trace element mix 3 times a week for the last 12 months.

     PROBLEMS: Anubias are my favourites, I have 4 types A. Barteri, A.
     Barteri var. nana, A. Congensis, A Coffefolia (sp.?).  The nana is the
     best established and has been present since day 1, it covers about 60%
     of the gravel surface. They are having problems. In places the rhizome
     has rotten away completely in small areas 10-20mm, the plant on either
     side of the rot seems to be OK. The rot appears on many Anubias plants
     and all 4 types. Is this an infection, a result of some deficiency or
     a method of vegetative reproduction..... anybody?

     ASIDE: Measurable water conditions have not changed much for years but
     most of my duckweed has disappeared also.

     Mick