[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #141

>>Let me give you this "old-timers" remedy to your problem -- get an
>>ordinary clam shell (or some oyster shell) and put in in your aquarium
>>or in the filter.  Watch the change in one month!

>Merrill, what is the reason behind this advice?  I've never heard of
>anything like it before.

I've never tried it but my experience tells me this might help. I believe
java fern requires harder water than many of the other plants. I had very
nice java fern growing in a 75 gal along with other plants. When I started
raising discus in the tank, I started using about 75% RO water whenever I
changed water. Most of the java fern now have small brown/black holes in the
leaves. The alkalinity was approx 120 ppm with 100% tap water during water
changes now it's 30 ppm (Hach test kit). It's either the alkalinity or temp.
Temp use to be 80 F, now I keep it at 84 F. All the other plants are doing
great (Echinodorus, Cryptocoryne, Aponogeton, Nymphaea, Ambulia, etc).

*******
Shiao Y. Wang
Univ. of Southern Mississippi
sywang at whale_st.usm.edu