[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aponogeton dormancy

> From: N.Monks at nhm_ac.uk (Neale Monks)
>
> The dormancy part of the Aponogeton's natural life cycle is when the water
> has receded and the bulb is left in the soil. The leaves die back. In the
> wild, this will happen in the dry season.

I think this is a pretty good description of the phenomenon in nature.
I suspect that what sometimes happens in aquaria is that we haven't
satisified the plants growing requirements and it continues to grow well
while using energy reserves from the tubercle. When these become exhausted,
the plant progressively dies back and the tubercle may rot. At that
point it's not dormant. It's too late.

Frequently you can get specimens that have a firm bulb but only
small leaves. Perhaps a semi-dry spell would be just the trick
to stimulate renewed growth and in the right environment, they'd
recover and build the tubercle up.

I've also read of propagation of A. madagascariensis by dividing
the tubercle itself when it's large enough and from daughter plants
forming on the tubercle. A lovely plant; wish I could get some
more specimens.

Steve in Vancouver BC.

PS for those wanting to acquire aquatic plants without bothering
with mail order or paying high prices in pet stores, I have a list
of people who contribute to this mailing list along with their
general location. This list is not for redistribution or for any
purpose except for exchanging aquatic plants or knowledge but
anyone on this list is welcome to it. I and others here in Vancouver
have a surplus of plants at the moment if anyone is interested.
Anyone looking for Ludwigia species? (or several others)