[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Apon. mad? (Lace Plant) Update - 12th month

> From: krombhol at felix_TECLink.Net (Paul Krombholz)
> Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 17:10:05 -0500
> Subject: Re: Apon. mad? (Lace Plant) Update - 12th month
>
> Bob Hoffman wrote, Aug 10:
>
> >...........Snipped............As a final note for those of you who may want
> >to try growing this plant, you need a LARGE tank.  IMO, Anything less than 50
> >gal. is to small. Ummm... good excuse for new larger tank.  Next update at 18
> >months.
>
> I am wondering if you have A. guilotii, since you are saying it is so big.
> A. guilotii has flowers with 5 pink spikes, is self-sterile, and can get
> too big even for a 75 gallon tank. (Petioles of the leaves reach the
> surface.)  Its leaves are long and narrow, compared to the other two
> Aponogeton species.
>
> Paul Krombholz                  Tougaloo College, Tougaloo, MS  39174
> In steamy Mississippi.

Based upon your description, I don't believe it is A. guilotii.  The
leaves of my plant can be as much as 3" in width and 12" in length.  In
my 35 gal. tank, the stalk of the leaf nearly reaches the surface of the
water such that much of leaf is lies across the surface and, therefore,
shades a considerable area of the tank.  Part of my "problem" is that
this plant now appears to be actually three plants all growing from, what
I assume is, one large bulb.

A tank that is 12" greater in height than my 35 gal. would allow this
plant to grow in manner where the unique qualities of this species could
be better displayed.

--
Bob Hoffman
Huntington Beach Orchids