[Prev][Next][Index]

Aponogeton dormancc

Dear All,

The dormancy part of the Aponogeton's natural life cycle is when the water
has receded and the bulb is left in the soil. The leaves die back. In the
wild, this will happen in the dry season, corresponoding to the Southern
summer, our winter. (This is one of the reasons than many aquarium plants
grown in South East Asia look unhappy in our winter).

So the natural conditions will be in a damp or dry peaty soil, in the dark,
and exposed to more variable temperatures than when in the river.

Of course, this only applies to those species that live in these seasonal
environments; A.crispus is one, and it is generally held in the UK that
these plants be removed when they start to look straggly and rested for a
couple of months. The important thing is to keep them somewhere well
aerated so the don't go mouldy. Some soil in  a pot by a windowsill would
be ideal.

Regards,

Neale.

From  Neale Monks' Macintosh PowerBook, at...

Department of Palaeontology, Natural History Museum, London, SW7 5BD
Internet: N.Monks at nhm_ac.uk, Telephone: 0171-938-9007