[Prev][Next][Index]

crypt question

Subject: crypt question

> Now on to my plant question.  I have a crypt. that I can't ident
> probably means it's one of the most common ones.  If that's the
> humor me.  It is deep red and brown with ruffled lance shaped le
> wide and 4-5" long.  The leaves hug the ground as in lay on the
> not fighting for light.  It seems easy to grow and has spread ou
> everywhere.  Also it seems not prone to melting (could it not be
> : P )   Anyway, I have a feeling it's common because its so hard
> in advance,

Identifying a Cryptocoryne is very difficult for an aquatic
botanist with the plant in hand unless they can get it to flower.
 Considering that, it's almost impossible to do it from a written
description.  Cryps in general grow very differently depending on
cultural variations.  My best guess is that this is a C. wendtii
of some sort since so many of the unnamed cultivars offered
commercially are.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA