[Prev][Next][Index]

lighting the 125

From: Tom Roberts <troberts at getnet_com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 18:14:03 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Need Lighting Suggestions For 125 Gallon Tank

I am in the process of setting up 125 gallon plant tank.  It is 72 inches
long, 18 inches wide, & 20 inches tall.  I was thinking of using 8
standard
T8 bulbs staggared which would give me a little over 2 Watts per gallon.
Would it be more cost effective in the long run to use a 250W metal
halide
setup?  Would one MH bulb provide enough light to cover the entire length
of
the tank.  What kind of lighting configuration do most people use with
this
size tank?  I am open to any and all suggestions.

        Thanks in Advance

        Tom Roberts
        Phoenix, Arizona

Tom,
You had inquired about lighting a 125 gallon plant tank. I would say that
you would be better served to cut down on the number of bulbs and go with
either that MH setup @ 250 watt you suggested, or consider purchasing a
VHO ballast and running them. I have seen setups with only one 250 watt
MH done on a tank your size and it has been successful, but I would
probably say it will all really depend on what plants you decide to go
with. You could also consider doing 2 of the 175 watt MH pendants for a
more uniform light distribution. I am a proponent of the " more light is
better school".....    I think you would find that using standard bulbs
in the quantity you mentioned would still only be marginal and very
cumbersome. I have a 175 MH supplemented with VHO aquasuns on my 55
gallon plant tank, and it works well for me. ( Now if I could only find a
bigger CO2 cylinder.....)  You do have many options, just remember that
you need to keep everything balanced. More light = more CO2, possibly
more nutrients,etc.   Good luck, and I am sure that you will get many
other good responses to this note as well.

					Mike T.
					( visiting from the Fishnet
world)