[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #113

>From: Marty Durkin <durkin at stsci_edu>
>Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 14:01:54 EDT
>Subject: Triton Bulbs and Stem Rot
>
>I have a 55 gallon aquarium which currently has 3 48" bulbs (1 Triton,
>1 regular, 1 coral life).  These bulbs are now 6 months old.  How
>necessary is it to replace these bulbs at 6 months?  Can I wait up to
>a year?  Also, should I go ahead and replace all 3 of them with
>Tritons.  I have heard that Tritons have a higher light intensity and
>will also help to eliminate algae problems.  Currently, I have a slight
>thread algae problem.

I suggest that, starting at six months, you replace your tubes one at a
time, at intervals of 2 or 3 months. I assume that you have a FW tank, I
thought that Tritons & Coral Lifes were designed for SW. I use a mix of
Vitalites (regular flourescents) and cool whites.

>Also, about 2 weeks ago I posted a message about several of my
>bunch plants rotting at the stems.

>The plants that are rotting are the ones that I had to trim about
>once a week because they were growing so fast.  These plants include
>Hygro, Foxtail, and Tropic Sunset.  Most of these plants I have
>had to completing throw away.
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice on these two issues.

The only problem I see is your KH, 2.5 is low for stemmed plants. It should
be above 3, 4 is better. Your GH should be likewise.

Bunch plants should not be "bunched", ie: several plants clamped together
at the bottom end.

I think that your nitrate test kit is somehow defective. Rotting stems
always result in nitrate in the water. Watch out for "nitrate crash", where
plant parts rot releasing nitrates, causing more plant rot, causing more
nitrate......

-Bill Brady