[Next][Index]

Re: What is it?

>From: PacNeil at aol_com
>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:54:31 -0400
>Subject: What is it?
>
>I have a plant in my aquarium I cannot identify.
>The plant has a similar growth habit to Riccia, it branches from the growth
end, but
>not as regularly. The plant is very thin, threadlike, with nodes. At the
>nodes there are two small needle-like "leaves" and a small green "ball".  The
>plant entwines other plants, at the surface, in the Riccia I have for ground
>cover. I've tried picking it out, but it breaks easily and seems to be
>pervasive. That's not really a problem, I would just like to know what it is.
>Anyone know?
>Neil Schneider

I think It might be Utricularia sp.
It is a carnivourus plant. That is what the "balls" are for.
It is able to catch small organisms (up to daphnia) with the balls!
But it is a plant that is easy to grow . Make sure that you do not have
plant under them that need lot of light.
It grows so fast that I decided to take crypts out of the tank in that
Utricularia grow because even for crypts there is too little light remaining.
Might be that I have some more information at home in one of my magazines.
If you are intersted in email me. I will try to translate them in shortened form

Patrick Aldag
email: aldag at tzv_fal.de