[Prev][Next][Index]

Giant Val. serve and volley

From: N.Monks at nhm_ac.uk (Neale Monks)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:12:00 +0000
Subject: Re: Cropping vallineria

>> Dave wrote:
>>
>> "DONT! Why ruin a beautiful plant?"

<chomp>

> Giant vallis are so vigourous, you can afford to set them back every couple
> of months to change the look of your plants. The main thing is not to get
> gravel between the leaves at the base, and keep the roots partially
> exposed.

I think the idea here is not to force the giant Val. to be something it's
not.  While all plants benefit from a periodic pruning, this should be
done with a better goal in mind than just to remove a predetermined mass
of leaves.  Val. will respond better to removing the older leaves at the
base and thinning out the new runners than to just coming along and
lopping off the top half of the leaves.

If the length of giant Val. is really a problem, and I can see how it
might be, why not just get a smaller variety of Val.?  It will be more
healthy and look better, as broken off val. leaves start to
get hole-y and bedraggled pretty quickly.

 Tom

 Work Phone: (206)-543-1075             Physical Mail: Box 352700
 Fax:        (206)-543-1543                            University of Washington
                                                       Seattle, WA
                                                       98195