[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Ich and temperature

>the plants are not harmed.  Raising the temperature to 85 degrees is
>helpful in getting the cysts off the fish.

I've read many recommendations for treating ich by raising the water
temperature but sometimes the reasoning seems confused.

I thought warmer water would cause the ich to go through its lifecycle more
quickly--although the normal three days seems pretty quick enough.
Therefore, it would leave the cyst stage more quickly and be vulnerable to
malachite green, etc. sooner. In other words, what Merrill said above.

But some folks seem to think higher temperature by itself will kill ich.
What's the word from the experts here? TIA.

Greg. Tong
San Francisco, CA, USA
gtong at sirius_com

"Every infinity is composed of only two halves."