[Prev][Next][Index]

Water sprite (?) stems

David W. Webb wrote:

>Based on your description, I'd guess that this plant is Hygrophila difformis
>>(Water Wisteria) rather than Water Sprite (a Fern).

Earle and David,
I think this sounds like Ceratopteris thalictroides. When I had it in my
tank it grew large rapidly and had exactly this problem with the stems. The
areas were black and the stems usually remained hanging on by a thread and
continued to grow. It looks a lot like Water Sprite -- some stores around
here sell it by that name. My H. difformis has never exhibited this
problem.

Olga
in hot (well, for here) Vancouver (80 F)