[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: topsoil vs. potting soil

John wrote, 7/23:

>I thought top soil is better than potting soil because potting soil has
>"something" in or not in it that discourages weeds from popping up in the
>pot???

I havn't heard of anything like that, and I doubt that potting soil would
be 'doped' with a chemical to discourage weeds, because it would seem
impossible to come up with something that would not discourage any of the
huge variety of houseplants, but would discourage an equally large variety
of weeds. Instead, I think that the manufacturers of potting soil do
something, such as heating, to kill any weed seeds in their mixes.

In steamy Mississippi.