[Prev][Next][Index]

Sagittaria latifolia and Do fish respond to GH or KH?

Subject: Sagittaria latifolia

> While at a garden centre yesterday, I picked up a large and vigo
> "Sagittaria lantifolia" [sic] being sold as a pond marginal.
<snip description of aquarium set-up>
> Does anyone know anything about this species?

This is definitely a better pond plant than aquarium plant.  It is
found in inland and coastal freshwater marshes from Canada to the
Southern parts of the  U.S. and can grow more than 5 feet tall.

------------------------------

Subject: Do fish respond to GH or KH?

Alok wrote:

> The thing is that it comes down to is the buffering system. The
> you cannot use anything other than CO2 is because you are workin
> CO3-2.  If you wanted, for some unknown reason, to buffer using
> NO3-2, or something else, you could do all sorts of other stuff.

In a chemical sense you could, but it would not, from what I have
seen be of any advantage to the plants in the system, and probably
not the fish either.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA