[Prev][Next][Index]

re: freshwater bivalves

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:21:16 +0100
From: Glen Osterhout <gleno at gw_pps.com>
To: Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #95

> From: Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM
> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:22:16 PDT
> Subject: The use of shell fish for green algae control
>
> Has anyone used freshwater clams or mussels in aquariums? These might
> be good to help control green water. Are they difficult to keep? How
> do you feed them?

First off,  I wouldn't recommend mussels;  their larvae are fish
parasites.  I have kept clams,  and they have their pluses and minuses.

Pluses:
    Can clear up green water
    Are an interesting novelty
    Stir up the gravel
    May filter out harmful microorganisms

Minuses:
    Bury themselves in gravel, so you won't see them much
    Might die unnoticed and foul the tank
    Stir up the gravel (uprooting plants in the process)
    May act as an intermediate host for some fish parasites

You don't have to feed them;  they live off suspended microorganisms
in the water.  I would allow 10-20 gallons per clam (just a guess). I
have had them live for a year or so.

Glen Osterhout