[Prev][Next][Index]

Lapis Lustre and Chem/pH Qs

I've used Lapis Lustre in a 140 gal tnak for a while and have not
noticed any problems, although I suppose they may not yet be
apparent.  I tested a sample of it with muriatic acid (don't inhale!)
and there was no significant bubbling.  Maybe we're talking about
different varieties of this sand/gravel.

I need a recommendation abotu how to change the pH in my tank and
buffer it safely.  The tap water is over 8, and I'd like 6.5-7.  I
used Acidifier to lower it at first, but it bounced back quickly and
then I read the bottle and found that it was Sodium MonoPHOSPHATE
(argh).  Anyway, I can get almost any chemical imaginable- I just
need to know a safe recipe for changing the pH and buffering it that
won't harm the fish or help out the algae (a CO2 system is in the
works- but it will be a while before I can change the pH that way).

Thanks!
Nick Livingston in dreary Seattle, using a new mail reader that
hopefully won't have wretched little "="s everywhere.