[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Canister Filter

>I don't know much about Magnum (a brand not sold in the UK, or perhaps by
>another name?) but I do use both Fluval and Eheim filters. My personal
>preference has always been for the Fluval, but not by much, and Eheim
>filters are perfectly useable.

Magnums are different then most of the other canisters on the market.  They
basically use a big cyclender shaped piece of foam/sponge, and push water
through the foam and then outward.  The Center section contains a cup to
hold the carbon.  Basically you are locked into using there foam, and
carbon.  Most of the products by MarineLand (the maker of the filter) are
like that.  They make most of there money making you purchace replacement
media, with carbon either in it, or additional. (like there Penguin/Emperor
series as well).  The Older Models of Magnums were prone to problems, but
the newer designed ones are of alot higher quality.  However still there is
a definate quality difference between the magnums and eheims, fluvals.
Magnums tend to have mostly plastic parts.  Magnums have an advantage in
that you can use a Additional Micron cartridge on them to do water
polishing.  (its either foam or micron for options not both at the same
time).  Recently they have introduced a "Hot" edition (hang on tank).  It
runs at 250gph.  The Main Marine Biologist told me i needed additional
bio-filtration (other then the canister alone)  He was either trying to sell
me on buying Bio-wheels, or to buy more.

Maybe this is just the way i see things, but i really cannot see myself
buying a magnum over the other options on the market.

- Nathan

  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
  @  (unself at eastky_com)           (unself on efNet iRC)  @
  @ .d^       ``     TEAM OS2       ``       .d^       `` @