[Prev][Next][Index]

CO2 questions

>From: KS Chan <chanks at pl_jaring.my>

>I use a 2 liter soda bottle for my CO2 reactor and mix 2 cups of sugar
>and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and water filled up to 2" below the cap cover,
>so far the CO2 generated is only about 2 ~3 bubbles per minute
>.... Is this sufficient ?

I think you have too little yeast and too much water. The formula I use
that works very well and runs for 4-5 weeks is: 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast,
1 tsp baking soda, 6 cups water.

>1. How can I increase the rate of CO2 output and what is the normal
>   rate of CO2 generated from this type of DIY system ?

 You would be better off using two bottles linked together so that you can
change one bottle 1 or 2 weeks ahead of the other. This way your CO2 is
always going strong.

>2. I also experience very low CO2 release pressure into the tank when I place
>   the soda bottle higher than the water level of the tank. Where should the
>   soda bottle be placed to get a reasonable gas release pressure into the
>tank.

Mine sit on the same surface as the tank. Make sure you have a valve to
prevent back-flow in your CO2 line. These are cheap little things you can
get at the aquarium store. Make sure that you have sealed all your
connections really well (except the bottle lid, of course). Use silicon
sealant. Pressure shouldn't be a problem if you have no leaks.

>3. What are the methods use to connecting the CO2 line into the tank ?
>   .... to diffuser, or power head ?

Mine runs through a power head but there are *many* ways to do this. You'll
probably get lots of suggestions.

Olga
in hot Vancouver (but not humid)