[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: importing plants

Well, here's another method:
1. Buy the plants while you are abroad.
2. Put the plants into boxes of appropriate size.
3. Put them into your suitcase.
4. Smile at the customs officer when returning home.

Works most of the time.

Jan

Disclaimer: The above article is not intended to encourage illegal
importation of live plants.

> From: JDAVIS at bio_tamu.edu
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:56:38 -0600
> Subject: importing plants
>
> I have an interesting story to tell you all.  I was in the Netherlands a
> few years back and I brought back a bunch of plants with me (all cactus
> and succulents).  The process that I had to do was this:
>
> 1.  Get an agricultural import permit.
> 2.  Enter the US through an ag import area (like JFK, NOI, LAX).
> 3.  Have NO soil on the roots
> 4.  Import nothing that is on the CITES list on endangered species.
>
> That is all that there is to it.  It might sound like a hastle, but it
> really isn't.  If you are making a trip to Europe and are planning to
> bring plants back it is better to be prepared then have to throw
> everything away at customs.  And SOME custom areas in other
> International airports will allow you to bring plants in if they have no
> soil, you have the proper permits, and there is no soil (so roots can be
> inspected for nematodes).  A caveat...it takes about 4 months to get a
> permit so plan early :)
> John

-----
Jan Fidrmuc
CentER for Economic Research, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
P.O.Box 90153, 5000 LE Tilburg, phone: +31-13-466-8221, fax: +31-13-466-3066
Email: Fidrmuc at KUB_NL.
http://cwis.kub.nl/~few5/center/phd_stud/fidrmuc/home.HTM
-----