[Prev][Next][Index]

Laterite quantity, substrate circulation & reptile under-tank he

Regarding the use of laterite, how does one calculate a
quantity to use?  I think I saw this information in FAQs, but when
I needed it I couldn't locate the information.

I'm considering the same substrate set-up approach as Granger Ridout,
that is, a base of vermiculite, laterite & fine gravel mixture and fine gravel
on top...awaiting comments to his post.

 I have one additional idea I
would like to solicit comments on.  Since circulation is important in the
substrate, I was thinking of taking half-inch CPVC with numerous
holes drilled in it and running it
throughout the substrate to facilitate circulation.  I was going to
place it on top of the vermiculite with a clear tube coming up from the
network in the back of the tank to add nutrients and fertilizers.   A
couple of air stones
could be placed inside to aid the movement of water when CO2 is
turned off.

To further
treat the substrate, I was thinking of using the "Heat Wave" reptile undertank
heaters by Hagen.  There are three sizes up to 25 watts and they are
reasonably priced.  Any comments?