[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Back to wonder water

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 96 11:30:05 cst
From: mark.fisher at tpwd_state.tx.us
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: Re:  Back to wonder water

     As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I had a similar experience with
     pearling after a water change, and I traced it back to CO2.  Before a
     water change I had 0-1 ppm CO2, and afterwards I had 4-5 ppm
     (according to my LaMotte test kit).  I did not measure pH.  The CO2
     would drop to 0-1 ppm in 2-3 days, and the plants would stop pearling.
     Now, I add CO2 into my Eheim canister from a DIY 20# cylinder (to 15
     ppm CO2) and my plants start to bubble about an hour after the lights
     come on every day, regardless of a water change.

     I believe CO2 becomes depleted within a few days after your water
     change and becomes rate-limiting, even though you add CO2.  I would
     like to read a description of your CO2 injection method (are you
     bubbling into a power head or canister, or into an airstone?)  Even
     better, I would like to see readings from a CO2 test kit.  They aren't
     expensive, if you don't have one.