[Prev][Next][Index]

Ph down and Pearling leaves

Subject: Ph down chemicals?

> For the last few weeks, my new tank has been very steady at the
> levels:
>
> Before lights are on:   Ph: 7.0, KH: 6-7, CO2: 18-21 milligrams/
> After lights are on (for 4-6 hours) Ph 7.2-7.5, KH 6-7, CO2: 10-
> milligrams/litre
>
> >From what I have learned, read and seen, a little lower Ph and
> more ideal. Like around a 6.8 Ph and a KH of 2-4; I am using DYI
> cannot inject anymore CO2 than what is being produced by the org
> and so was wondering about using a Ph/KH down acidic product (su
> Tetra) to slowly (over at least a week or two) lower these level
> tank water, and to lower my tap water for water changes as well
> 7.5).... The main chemicals I believe are hydrochloric acid and
> acid in these products...?

I have yet to see an instance where using pH adjusting chemicals
did _anything_ positive for the tank.  As it is, your pH/KH are
fine for a HUGE variety of plants.  If you really feel the need to
lower your KH, do it properly with RO/DI or distilled water.  But
remember that very soft water can be just as limiting as water
that is a little harder.  You will _still_ find that some plants
don't do well in your tank... It will just be a different group of
plants.

------------------------------

Subject: Pearling leaves...?

Alok wrote:

> 	From crypts and anubias? Really? I didn't think they
> photosynthesize fast enough. I know that all of my echinodorus a
> hygrophila  plants do, but I never heard of those genera doing t

Crypts and Anubias "pearl" regularly under good conditions.
Crypts most often from points of leaf damage, Anubias most often
from the flowers.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA