[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:barclaya longifolia

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996 03:39:02 -0400, Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com wrote:

>My barclaya longifolia are sending up flowers.  Anybody have experience with
>pollenating and germinating this species?  Rataj/Horeman claims they're
>self-pollenating, even if the flowers never reach the surface; does this
>mean I should just leave them alone to do their thing?  And, should I get
>that far, are there any tricks to germinating the seeds?  Thanks in advance.

I had this happen several years ago.  I was never able to germinate the seeds
on command.  However I do have several seedlings growing.  They seem to choose
their own time and place.  The substrate from the origional tank has been
distributed into serveral new tanks.  Nothing was done to pollenate the flowers.

Luck,

Ed Tomlinson (tomlins at cam_org)
Montreal, Canada

Home of pppdial: http://www.cam.org/~tomlins/pppdial.html