[Prev][Next][Index]

Phosphates and fish food

>> We have NEVER had a nitrogen deficiency in our heavily planted,
>> heavily "fished", vigorously growing systems.
>
>Yes, but how about the phosphates?

One thing that I've found in my tanks is that if I keep adding chelated iron to
the water, the phosphate content seems to lower.

I don't have a phosphate test kit, but I've noticed that most algaes (red and
blue) in my tanks have reacted quite negatively to increased additions of Dupla
drops over a period of time.

I remember reading several times here that iron binds with phosphate and both
of them settle out of the water.  This may be part of what's happening in
George's tanks.  This, coupled with the large, regular water changes that he
does could keep waterborne phorphorus levels relatively low (I think).

David W. Webb
Enterprise Computing Provisioning
Texas Instruments Inc. Dallas, TX USA
(214) 575-3443 (voice)  MSGID:       DAWB
(214) 575-4853 (fax)    Internet:    dwebb at ti_com
(214) 581-2380 (pager)  Text Pager:  pgr at ti_com Subj:PAGE:David Webb