[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: SAEs

>From: Vicente Gil <vgil at arale_taknet.es>
>Subject: Crossocheilus and were they come from
>To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
>Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 10:54:26 +0100 (GMT+0100)
>
>I had been looking for the famous Crossocheilus Siamensis in
>Spain,Belgium,Italy, and than, Taipei, Singapure and Chicago, nobody
>have them, and mainly nobody hear about them, and they try to sell the
>Epalocinchrus, saying it is the same.
>I got them in the same street were i live in Barcelona Spain.

It is amazing how searches end up. Of course, the world wide knowledge about
the SAE's have been increasing recently. :-)

When I was in Taipei, they also did not know much about the SAE. IThe
aquarium trade in Taiwan should now know the differences... they have
published the article by Liisa and myself in their magazine, AQUALIFE. But,
there is not much interest in algae eating fishes. Shrimps are the principle
animal to munch algae in both Taiwan (and Japan).

>I had been talking with this gentleman that handles the aquarium from
>the Science Museum in Barcelona, about this kind of fishes, and I asked
>him the reason why it is so dificult to find , specially if, in theory,
>they  come from Asia, and there nobody knows about them.
>
>He explain me that the reason it is thet they come from a farm in the
>the Tchek Republik and not from Asia.

I would like to hear more about this farm. Please post this information or
email me directly. In the US, I can say for sure that they are imported from
Asia.  But, this may explain why they are much, much more popular and
available in Germany, Finland, Poland and 'some' other parts of Europe.

Neil

Neil Frank, TAG editor    Aquatic Gardeners Association    Raleigh, NC USA