[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Malaysian Trumpet Snails & Loaches

>From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
>Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:12:00 -0700
>Subject: Malaysian Trumpet Snails & Loaches
>

> But I'm wondering -- can I keep these snails with Clown Loaches? I
>know they eat snails but I thought that MT snails would avoid them in the
>substrate. And -- will the loaches crunch up the shells too so that I
>wouldn't see them? Can they eat *through* the shells???

My MT snails are noctural. In a tank without Clown Loaches, you will see the
snails all over the aquarium glass several hours after the lights are out.
They are very light sensitive and will quickly drop to the bottom to borrow
into the substrate when the light is even briefly turned on. With your Botia
macracanthus, I don't think the snails will get very far.:-)

Neil Frank, TAG editor    Aquatic Gardeners Association    Raleigh, NC USA