[Prev][Next][Index]

Reprinting articles

Hi Folks,

I know the algae articles reprinted on the APD were placed there
with the best of intentions.  As the author of one of those
articles though, I would like to point out that it is the
responsibility of the person posting something like this to obtain
the permission of the authors before doing so.

I know I was not asked, and I doubt the other authors were either.
I have _absolutely no problem_ with sharing this information here.
But please be aware that most people who write for this hobby do
so for little or no recompense.  At very least, they deserve the
courtesy of being asked before their material is distributed.

Even material obtained from club newsletters usually has very
specific rule regarding its use and distribution. (These are
usually printed somewhere in the publication)  The same thing is
true of articles available at web sites.  If the web site is run
in a reputable manner, the owner has contacted the authors for
their permission before including any material.  The fact that the
material is there for you to read, download, learn from and enjoy
does not make it any less the author's personal property.

Please do not take advantage of the folks who give so freely of
their time and effort.

(BTW, all of the above pertains to artwork published in club
publications or available at various web sites as well)

End of lecture... let's talk about plants! :-)

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardener's Association