[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Riccia habits

Michael Eckardt <mike at argosys_odg.com> writes:

<<R. fluitans grows in almost all conditions, however, it seems to prefer a
tank with little water movement (otherwise is falls apart)>>

Another instance of "there are always exceptions to the rules," I guess!  My
Riccia forms big dense pillows that grow strongest where they spin around
right next to the filter outflow waterfall...  A funny bonus is I have a
Crinum thalium (? the straight-leaved kind of onion plant, not the African C.
natans) -  and the tips of the Crinum's leaves got hung up in the Riccia, and
were twisted into a semi-permanent deformity - I have a Corkscrew Crinum
thalium!  Now if only LaMarck had been right about passing on acquired
characteristics...

Anne Hull Seales
Santa Cruz CA
Today's weather:  Morning fog to burn off by noon, then sunny with afternoon
breezes.  Highs mid 70's, lows mid 50's  Repeat daily until Sept 1st.