[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Heat Tape

>    * To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
>    * Subject: Heat Tape?
>    * From: Alok Chaudhari <achaudh at emory_edu>
>    * Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 23:50:51 -0400

> Hola,
>             What exactly is 'reptile heat tape'?
    There are several types of reptile heating elements.

    The one which works very well for the planted aquarium is called
Flexwatt radiant heating panels.  It is a thin roll of clear plastic
with ten watt elements spaced every twelve inches.  The elements are
laid out to evenly disburse the heat.  I have found that a length of
36 inches works well for a 55 to 75gal aquarium.  It is easily connected
to a rheostat for more precise control.

My first experiment with it proved very successful, and I have installed
it under all my plant tanks.  I use no in-tank heaters, and my tanks
stay about four degrees warmer than the room.

Karl