[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #121

>From: Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM
>Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 15:41:14 PDT
>Subject: Copper in acidic Vancouver water?

 Since Karen mentioned that
>Ludwigias were susceptible to copper poisoning and the symptoms matched,
>this led me to wonder if I have been suffering from copper poisoning
>for some time from our usually acidic Vancouver water which is now
>really acidic.  If there
>is Copper in the water, how could I safely remove it (ie. pretreat
>the water) without leaving compounds that might also precipitate
>my Fe(EDTA)? From Karen's comments, it doesn't sound as if she has
>found a highly successful method.

If you've got copper, there isn't a whole lot you can do short of RO or DI.
Someone sells some copper-zorb stuff but I don't know how effective it is.
Give your water people a call and find out what they've been doing to the water.

>Subject:  Selling plants
>
>Remember that bunch plants are extremely inexpensive at the
>wholesale level.  You're not going to get much for your bunch
>plants, but the best way to get the most you can is to do it the
>way the retailer wants you to!  Ask them how they'd prefer you to
>handle the plants.  Then make sure your bunches are bigger, taller
>and in better condition than anything they'd find at the
>wholesaler.

One other thing is to find a store that normally doesn't have many plants
and ask them how much they'll give you.  IT usually means they don't have a
reliable supplier and might give you more than some of the other stores.

>From: tmarch at primenet_com (Todd March)
>Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 21:16:38 -0700
>Subject: Tetra CO2 System...?
>
>I'm wondering if anyone can give me some sound advice from hands on
>experience with Tetra's complete CO2 system to help me decide whether to
>buy or not...
>
>Including how long their CO2 canister (6oz.?) lasts in the real world (for
>my heavily planted 29g they say 6-9 months)... And how well the "bell"
>injector works and how long the system actually lasts between
>injections--from what I could read in the kit, I will need to manuely
>inject the CO2 twice daily...?

I haven't tried this personally, but even one of the pet stores which is
never reluctant to sell crap has told me privately that this is kind of a
pain to maintain, primarily because the container of CO2 holds so little.
If you're really stuck on buying it, know that you'll probably have to
replace the CO2 canister pretty soon with a bigger one (or change it every
month or so).  I think they have it in a 29 and replace it less than every
month just so they never run low.

-Roni