[Prev][Next][Index]

What lights to buy?

Hello,

I'm about to upgrade the lighting on my 29 gal. tank and would appreciate some
advice. Looking through my saved messages on lighting from the past several
months has given me a good start, but I have this feeling that I probably have
just enough information to be dangerous!!

The tank size means I'm stuck with 24" bulbs, which limits choices somewhat. I
have found Phillips F20 T12 bulbs with a 5000K rating for $5.50, which sounds
good after the $19 - 25 prices of "aquarium" bulbs. I am under the impression
that a 5000K fluorescent bulb is a 5000K fluorescent bulb; is that correct? (
at least to a first approximation.)

Now for the ballast. I've found an electronic ballast which will run 2 40w
tubes. The guy said I could put the shorter, 20w tubes on it with no problem.
Is he right? (You notice I trust the APD posters more than the salesman!) Is
it likely to work to run two tubes? or do I need to find one specifically for
my bulbs? What other questions should I ask? This ballast is $28.

I also need endcaps and starters but I'm less worried about them as they seem
to be easier to match up once I have the tubes and ballast. Or are there
components I've forgotten?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Christine, in HOT Palo Alto, good day for the pool!