[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #108

>------------------------------
>
>From: Thomas Price <tprice at u_washington.edu>
>Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 10:01:31 -0700 (PDT)
>Subject: Echinodorus blooms
>
>Hi, all,
> I have a large Echinodorus sold under the trade name of a "Marble Queen
>Sword."  I looks sort of like a big, variegated radicans sword.  It has
>put out a long runner with a couple of plants and one of the flowers which
>is emersed has opened to a pretty little white and yellow blossom.  What
>do I do with it now?  If I pass a brush across the blossom, and
>successfully pollinate, will I get Marble Queen Sword seeds?  Should I
>wait a couple of days for additional blossoms which might also open, and
>try to pollinate the lot?  This
>is my first experience with such things, so any advice is appreciated.
>
>Tom Price in Seattle, where it was nice over the weekend, but now it's
>crummy again.

Hi,
you are so lucky.
What I would do is to put the runner under water . I think that this would
bring you several plantlets without any effort (compared to seeding). If you
reproduce the E. spec. "marble queen " by seeds it is possible that the
plantlets look very different, because the Marble Queen is a bastard - or
perhaps it is steril (?), so you would not get any seed!
If you like have a look at the Tropica site    http://www.tropica.dk     I
think they where the ones that "createted" the marble queen
or was it Barth in Dessau?
By the way I am interested in any other experiences in reproducing
Echinodorus (mostly the new bastards) .
So , if any one has some information let me know.

Patrick
from Germany where it is finally becomimng  summer

Patrick Aldag
email: aldag at tzv_fal.de