[Prev][Next][Index]

Anubias and Plant Info

Subject: What does Anubia mean?

> I recently saw a placard signaling "Welcome to the World of Anub
> What does the word Anubia mean in this context?  Juding from my
> it may be an underwater plant but I can't tell.  Can you help,
> especially in this context.  This was seen in a hospital emergen
> Thanks.

The genus of aquatic plant you're thinking of is Anubias.  I have
no idea what "anubia" means.   You've got my curiosity piqued
though... Let us know if you find out!

Subject: Information on aquatics

>         Can anyone help me with information on the following
> plants? Information on size, growth type, flowering season,
> cultural requirements.

>       Eleocharis sphacelata

Eleocharis is commonly called hair grass, and there are many
species.  I was unable to find a reference for the particular
species you mention.  It is a marginal plant that does best with
lots of light and a rich substrate.  Some withstand submerged
growth quite nicely, while others are really happiest grown at
least partially emersed.  They propagate via runner.

>       Azolla pinnata

Azolla is a small, free floating fren.  This species is native to
Australia, Java and Africa, but there are other similar species
almost everywhere.  It likes soft water, and does not tolerate
condensation on its leaves... so it does best in an uncovered
aquarium or pond.  As a fern, it is not a flowering plant, but
propagates vegetatively quite freely.

>       Sagittaria graminea platyphylla

This is a broad leafed Sag that prefers to grow aerial leavs,
although supposedly, you can keep it in submerged mode if the
water is deep enough.  It does best in a rich substrate.
According to Baensch, it is native to both S.E. USA and Indonesia,
which sounds a bit odd.  I suspect it will not bloom unless
allowed to grow emersed.  Since it is native to North Amaerica,
that probably means it flowers in the summer.  Propagation is via
runner.

>       Juncus usitatus

This is a member of the rush family, although I was not able to
find anything about this particular species.  Most are emersed
marginal plants that need wet or at least damp feet.  Many
tolerate brackish conditions.  There are a few species that grow
submerged and at least one floating plant that I know of. (J.
repens)

>       Typha domingensis

Cattails!  They grow in marshy conditions and can become invasive
in garden ponds.  Definitely not an aquarium plant, as they can
grow twice the height of a man.  They flower in the summer.  The
male flowers fall off the top part of the stem, while the female
flowers form the densely packed "cattail" we are used to seeing in
roadside ditches.  This species is sometimes listed as a variety
of T. angustifolia

>       Lomandra sp.
>       Paspalum distichum
>       Schoenoplectus validus

None opf these are familiar to me.  Nor was I able to find these
genera in any of my reference books.  Are you sure they're aquatic
plants?

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA