[Prev][Next][Index]

SAE and high temps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 18:13:48 -0400
From: Karen A Randall <krandall at world_std.com>
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com
Subject: SAE and high temps

Subject: Re: SAE and high temps

Michael Irlbeck wrote:

> However, my SAEs are left-overs from my pre-discus time and I wo
> recommend them for a discus tank. They leave the discus alone us
> but they are very active swimmers and if you have very shy discu
> will probably make them nervous. Another point is that discus ar
> usually fed a lot more than other fish and they are slow eaters.
> are not eating algae any more since they discovered the variety
> discus food. I have the fattest bunch of SAEs that I have ever s
> Bristle nose ancistrus are keeping my tank algae-free.

I'll second that report on SAE's in a planted Discus tank.  While
my Discus never seemed bothered by the SAE's, (the SAE's were
introduced at a small size and grew up with the Discus which may
be a factor) neither did the SAE's eat any algae while they were
allowed to feast on Discus food.  BTW, I have also found that if
you want REALLY big cardinal tetras, grow them up on Discus food!

As far as Ancistrus are concerend, be careful.  I've heard that
some people have good success with them, but I found that they
damaged my broad leafed plants.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA