[Prev][Next][Index]

catching up: APD#20-39

> From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 14:25:23 -0700
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #17
>
>  I posted the following:
> >From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
>
> >I just found a good looking plant I haven't seen before in my l
> >It apparently came mixed in with a shipment of Java Fern and lo
> >is related. It isn't in any of my books.
> >
> >It is a dark green with leaves of the same sort of texture as J
> >However the leaves grow on stiff, stand-up stalks are triangula
> >toothed and have an "accordion-type" surface. It appears to hav
> >sort of roots as Java Fern and grows on a piece of wood. The fe
> >in the store (who is quite knowledgable but doesn't know this p
> >that it reproduces like Java Fern -- off the leaves. It is howe
> >putting out growth from the base of the main stem as well.
> >
> I've found out that this plant is Bolbtis Heteroclite or Heudelo
> information on it is that it is an emersed plant but apparently
> okay underwater, though slowly. It also has long Java Fern looki
> when it arrives at the store but puts out the trianglar leaves i
> cloverleaf like pattern submersed. So can anyone tell me more ab
> heteroclite/Heudelotii? Is it doomed to die submersed?

Sorry I've been so long in responding, but I've been away on
vacation.

What you have is B. heteroclita.  B. heudelotti is very different
looking.  It has finely divided triangular leaves very reminiscent
of terrestrial ferns.  In the wild it is a marginal plant, but
only in very moist, humid locations, like the spray zone of water
falls.  It adapts fully to aquatic life and is an attractive and
vigorous addition to the aquarium.  It does fine even in subdued
light, but gets much larger with brighter light and supplemental
CO2.  I have only successfully kept it emersed in very humid
enclosed terrarium-type conditions.

B. heteroclita is a very different animal.  It never adapts really
well to aquatic life.  It will grow well fully emersed in dryer
condition as long as it is misted frequently.  I have kept it on
the windowsill over a tray of wet pebbles to keep humidity up.
However, it's emersed form looks like Poison Ivy, IMO, and is not
attractive enough to bother with.

In the aquarium, it sort of limps along.  It's obviously a tough
plant, as even in conditions that are obviously not to its liking,
it doesn't die, but it doesn't increase either.  My first piece
came from a friend who had kept it for 3 years in a "low tech"
dimmly lit tank.  Under these conditions, it lost a leaf for every
leaf it gained, and was no bigger at the end of 3 years than it
was when he started.

When I took it, I placed it in a strongly lit tank with
supplemental CO2 and trace element supplementation.  Under these
conditions, it approximately quadrupled its size during the
following year.  But it certainly is not what I'd consider a
strong grower.  It's leaves, while fairly attractive individually,
especially when new, are not particularly decorative en masse.
They seem to deteriorate and blacken with age without falling off.

I suspect that what we are seeing with the foliage change in this
plant is not so much emergent vs. submerged foliage adaptation,
but deformed foliage caused by the fact that the plant is not
really capable of fully adapting to continuous submerged life.

I still keep the plant, but more as a curiousity than for any
aesthetic reason.