[Prev][Next][Index]

RE Tetra Hilena Gerry Skau

	I have set up 2 new tanks in the last year and used Tetra Hilena. I use
the commercial peat plates with plant plugs and then sand all on top of Tetra
Hilena. My experience has been an initial extremely high ammonia spike after
the tank is set up. It takes about 3-4 weeks for the biological filter to get
this under control. I would not use Hilena in any tank with an established fish
population.
	By the way this setup works well for me. The peat plates and plant
plugs provide enough non-compacted area for the plants roots while the sand at
the surface keeps any waste available so it can be siphoned off. Of course this
is ideal for tanks with larger fish populations and not a strict Dutch style
setup.