[Prev][Next][Index]

Wet Cement :-)

A current discussion regarding potential problems of cement and water has me
adding my $0.02.  The problems of dampness and water damage mentioned in one
posting occurs mainly in structures on land.  The water damage actually
occurs in the motar used to hold cement blocks together.  In construction
using poured cement, you must remember that cement is permeable and most
kinds used to build buildings will allow water through.  The likelihood of
water seepage is a long story I won't get into.  There are cements created
especially for use in water.  Look for them in boxes at your local hardware
supply store.  In the Atlanta area, they run around $5 - $7 US.  Read the
labels to find the one that's right for you.  They are very expensive
compared to a whole bag of cement for the same price.  That's why the cement
water proof barriers that you paint on were created.

Be careful when using this stuff because it may affect the water chemistry.
 Try a test setup first and find out what happens.

Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil