[Prev][Next][Index]

Palludarium

I've finally finished the waterfalls and cliffs part of my palludarium (or
is it paludarium from paludal?). I modeled them in clay, forming a
semi-circle, with the mountain for the waterfall center back and the ends
facing forward. I then covered it with a couple of layers of fiberglass,
and finished it of with epoxy pool paint. I had a lot of trouble deciding
on colors for the rock, and at $50 a gallon wanted to do it once. Tried
marbling, but using sets of black and green it came out looking like
jungle camouflage.

I've decided on using a glass aquarium rather than the acrylic one that's
free so I can add amphibians and heat lamps. I'll soak out the clay and
seal it in this weekend. I also did the mountain in layers so that I can
take off the top and put pumps and any other equipment like heaters inside.

On one side I've added a shallow lake for bog plants.

I'd guess it'll hold about 15 - 20 gallons of water when filled.

So the entire environment has 9" of water for underwater plants, a pool
for bog plants and a dirt area for land plants. And I've built in a flow
through a gravel bed for simple filtering.

So George, since you like modeling this is one way you could create
an entire eco-system.

For others that have done this, are their any poisonous plants that you
tend to stay away from?

I'm also taking pictures as the project develops in case anyone is
interested.

-Don Pickerel-

In warm but cloudy Mountain View.