[Prev][Next][Index]

re: algae eater infection

>From: williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil (Williams, Rochelle - DCSPIM)
>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:47:36 -0400
>Subject: Algae Eater Infections
>
>Several of my fish have intestinal parasites and will soon be medicated.
> Since many algae eaters eat more than just algae, does anyone know of
>intestinal parasite infestations in otocinclus and bushynose plecos?  I'm
>sure the Cory catfish and mystery snail are infected because they would
>consume eggs excreted from the contaminated fish that fall to the gravel.
> And I'm debating about the Singapore shrimp.  Even though they are filter
>feeders, I have seen them working the gravel, too.  I am not happy about
>this at all.  :-(
>
>The recommended medication is Metronidazole, Seachem brand, which can be
>both fed and dissolved in the water.  I called Seachem and the person said
>there was no effect on plants, but he didn't know about the fw snail and
>shrimp.  In saltwater, no invertebrate should be treated, but he believed
>freshwater invertebrates were "tougher."  Has anyone used this medication,
>either fed or dissolved, in their planted tanks?
>
>I have a 125gal planted discus community tank.  The non-discus fish are not
>affected by the parasites (if they are even infected!) but discus are
>extremely susceptible.
>
>Thanks for opinions!
>Rochelle Williams
>williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil

I have tryed metrodinazole when I had a problem with intestinal protozoan
parasites in my Discus and Angelfish planted tank and it did not had any bad
effects my plants...but I was not able to see any more Malassian trumpet
snails after that...or any other snail at all. I would be careful with the
shrimp or other invertebrates in the tank. Metrodinazole will only work on
protozoan parasites that probably live
in the gut of the fish. The fish where much happier..started eating again
once I completed the dosage

Another problem that you may had...and...that that I am having too is the
monogastric trematodes...those are the little flat like worms with one
sucker at the end and a few hooks at the other who love to atach to the gills
and skin of you big cichlids...and sometimes you will see your fish rubing
against
the rocks and plants trying to get rid of them....
many of them prefer large fish...so they will  probably leave you characins
alone

I discovered them after making mounts from the water and sediment  (caca)of
the bottom
of the tank and examining it with a phase contrast
microscope, I was able to ID it by using one of THF books ..Examining and
Diagnosis
Diseases of Fish an other parasitology books and after having the water
standing for 24 hours they showed up crawling
along with free living viviparous nematodes and a whole bunch of other stuff.
I do realize that I may be diagnosing the wrong worm since I did not do a smear
from the fish skin or gills....but the crawling worms had the same
characteristics
of those described in the fish books and other parasitology books I own.

So the big question for the group .....has anyone used Thiabendazole(TZB) in
their
planted aquarium tank ? or any other antihelmintic drug without damaging plants?

I regularly disinfect the New plants in chlorox before introducing them to
the aquarium...but I have the suspicion(sp?) that the bugs are able to
withstand it
I will experiment with this to let you all know....
and yes I do regular water changes...weekly in all of my tanks...I just
blame it to the water in this area of the country...you all canot believe
and do not
want to know what I have found in our water filter purifier......

Thank you all for all the information you all provide!! no book can compile
the knowledge that you all share here or when you all respond directly to
the people
by e mail..this is a great hobby and science!!!

lester
Lester Pasarell-Luiggi                        e mail= lpasarel at beach_utmb.edu
Medical Mycology Reference Laboratory                 ad727 at rgfn_epcc.edu
Department of Pathology
University of Texas Medical Branch            http://fungus.utmb.edu/myco.htm
Galveston, Tx 77555-0609                      409-747-2439 laboratory
                                              409-747-2437 Fax