[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: sterilizing soil =>useful netiquette

David B. Wheeler wrote on Mon, 15 Apr:

> krombhol at felix_TECLink.Net (Paul Krombholz)
> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 19:21:29 wrote:
> > Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 wrote
> > >.....I can see that the chances of finding undesirable organisms
> > >is much higher in manure than ordinary garden soil. Paul K.,
> > >do you sterilize your manure if you add it for composting?
> > >
> > No, I never sterilize soil or composted soil-manure.[snip]
> > That post on r.a.fw.plants, sounds like a good example of a 'little
> > knowledge being a dangerous thing'.
>
> I spent nearly half a day being mad after reading this because I thought
> Steve was referring to a post that I had made to r.a.f.p.  I was angered
> that he should have misrepresented me and I was hurt that Paul would
> subsequently blithelydismiss my contribution to that newsgroup.  I had
> drafted what I hoped would be a considered response to being so
> non-decorously dissed and was about to send it to the APD when I decided
> to look one more time through my spool of r.a.f.p. posts.  Luyckilyt I
> found the actual post that gave rise to the above quoted exchange and was
> releaved to find that it wasn't mine.  I could have avoided the anguish
> and near embarassment of defending myself against a non-challenge if the
> original citation from the newsgroup had been carried over to APD.
> Because there is a large amount of overlap between the readers of and
> contributors to APD and r.a.f.p., I would like to suggest that reference
> to materials posted in either setting be properly attributed as I you
> were responding to a post in the original forum.
>
> David Wheeler

I will take your suggestion to heart David. I'm sorry that my reference
caused you be be upset. As you know (now), I was not refering to your
article but a previous one which prompted my post regarding nematodes.
Unfortunately, I cannot find the original posting; it appears to have
expired from our news-server. I regret that I did not quote it. By the
way, thank you for the information on nematodes. One thing I am still
curious about: does anyone know what precautions (if any) are done for
preparing aquatic substrates for scientific experiments?

For everyone else's edification here is what David Wheeler wrote
(NOT the posting which prompted my questions):