[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Algae paper

>From: ac554 at freenet_carleton.ca (David Whittaker)
>Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 06:24:14 -0500
>Subject: PMDD Paper
>
>      COMMENTS ON "Control of Algae in Planted Aquaria

From the paper:
>"Red algae is favored over green algae if most of the available
>carbon is in the form of bicarbonates."

Years ago when I had red algae in my tanks, this algae never appeared in my
tanganyikan tanks with crushed coral substrate but was flurishing in the
softer, non-CO2 injected neotropical planted tanks. I assume that carbonates
were available in the former and the latter were probably CO2 limited.

>While the red beard/brush algaes seem to take off when my DIY CO2
>runs out, that may simply be due to diminished competition with the
>plants.

I agree. TOA also suggests adding CO2 as a control for red algae. I
speculate that addition of CO2 causes increase plant growth and limiting of
some water column nutrient.

>------------------------------
>
>From: psears at NRCan_gc.ca (Paul Sears)
>Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 11:30:11 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: Re: Algae, phosphates
>
>> From: nfrank at nando_net (Neil Frank)
>>

>> Regarding the effect of P, there was an interesting article published in TAG
>> which is an English translation of one originally published in AquaPlanta
>> (see TAG, V7n1). The author, Peter Peterson, slowly reduced phospahte
>> concentration by adding a 0.3% solution of of iron chloride (over 8 day
>> period). He reduced the Phosphate concentration to 0.1 ppm. During this
>> time, he observed that some species of higher plants started to suffer and
>> algae bloomed. This suggests that his algae was able to utilize phosphates
>> at a lower level than some of his plants. He observes that the results may
>> be species specific.
>>
>	Do you have the original reference?

TAG V 7 no. 1 (Jan-0Feb 1994) is supposed to be the complete translation.
However, if you prefer to read it in the German, I was told it was
AquaPlanta 2/92.

Neil Frank, TAG editor    Aquatic Gardeners Association    Raleigh, NC USA