[Prev][Next][Index]

Myriophyllum hippuroides needs help

Greetings,

Thanks to many bits and big chunks of advice from you questioners and experts,
I'm doing quite well with my planted tank. It's a 30-gal. with happy, growing,
even reproducing common plants like Hygrophila [?lacustris?], Elodea,
Echinodorus amazonicus, Echinodorus tenellus, Myriophyllum aquaticum, and Java
fern. Nothing real unusual but they are pretty and healthy. There is only one
plant which is doing really poorly: Myriophyllum hippuroides, identified from
the photo in Rataj. This plant was quite nice when I bought it but lost no
time (like a week) in turning brown and losing leaves. After about 2 months,
there are only tiny spots of new green growth, which don't seem to be "taking
off". I notice Rataj shows an emersed form as well as immersed; makes me
wonder whether this plant was a good choice in the first place. I don't have
high enough light levels yet (still!! --too much skiing on the weekends, I
guess) but the Myriophyllum is right under the bulb, and other plants are
doing fine. I have CO2 from yeast and add Flourish regularly. My question: is
there something I should do to try to recover this, or is this one difficult/
hopeless/not worth the bother?

TIA,

Christine in Palo Alto, wish I was out cycling!